Students working for their first degree  at a university are called undergraduate. When they take their degree was say that they graduate, and then they are called gradates. If they continue studying at university after tey have graduated, they are called post-graduates.

Full-time university students spend all their time studying. They have no other employment. Their course usually lasts for three or four years. Medical student have to follow a course lasting lasting for six or seven years. Then they graduate as doctors. In Britain, full-time university students have three terms of about ten weeks in each year. During these terms they go to lectures or they study by themselves. Many students become members of academic  societies and sports cubs and take part in their activities. Between the university terms they have vacation (or holiday periods). Their vacations are long, but of course they can use them to study at home.

Some universities, like Oxfords and Cambridge in England, are residential. This mean that during the university terms the students live in a university college or hosted or in lodgings chosen from an officials list.  The university and college buildings are often very old, and amongst them are fine examples of ancient architecture.

Other university are non-residential. Some of the student at these universities can live in a university hostel, but many live at home or in lodgings and have to travel daily to their lecturers. Large cities often have university of this kind. Sometimes the student have to spend quite a lot of time on their journeys, so they cannot join in student activities as easily as students in residential universities can.

Full-time students are also called internal students, because they spend all their time at university. There are also external students who cannot attend the university full-time but who are studying for its examinations. They are part-time students. They have to other work during they day, usually to earn their living, and they study in the evening.

External students are often older than full-time internal students. Sometimes they can attend lectures in the evening, but many of them have to study by correspondence. They write at home the work that is set by their tutors. Then they have to post this work to their tutors, and the tutors post corrections and advice back to them.

In some countries, “Universities of the Air” can now help student to gain degrees. After special lectures on radio or television, these students too have to send set work for corrections by correspondence. However, for a few weeks each year they can attend special vacation courses at universities.

For admission to any degree course, a student has to pass qualifying examinations. In Britain there are not enough places for every secondary school student, so these examinations are competitive. This mean that only the students with the highest marks can gain admission. However e few older people are able to gain admission without the full qualifications, if the university thinks that they are suitable candidates.

Are these statements right or wrong? If they are wrong, say why?

  1. All students stay at university for three or four years.
  2. Residential students are external students.
  3. Some student live in university college or hostels.
  4. They spend most of their vacations attending lectures.
  5. All students in large cities are residential students.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *