apprehend —- Implicate —- Ascertain —- Inquiry —- Bureaucratic —- Intrusively —- Condemn —- Seize —- Evidence —- Surveillance
- Definisi: apprehend v. To capture (Parts of speech: apprehension n)
- Contoh: The police apprehended the robbery suspect as he tried to get on a bus to Chicago.
- Definisi: ascertain v. To make sure of
- Contoh: The police failed to ascertain that the man they arrested was the Gregory Brown they were really looking for.
- Tips: Ascertain is often followed by a that clause. Notice that the root of the word is the adjective certain, meaning “sure.”
- Definisi: bureaucratic adj. Related to a large organization with a lot of com-plicated procedures (Parts of speech: bureaucracy n)
- Contoh: Before I could speak with the chief, I had to go through a bureaucratic runaround of identity checks and written requests.
- Tips: Bureaucratic implies that something is inefficient and unnecessarily complicated.
- Definisi: condemn v. To speak out against something in very strong terms (Parts of speech: condemnation n)
- Contoh: Religious radicals condemned the government for allowing alcohol to be sold in restaurants.
- Definisi: evidence n. Something that makes the truth of a statement seem more likely (Parts of speech: evidence v, evident adj, evidently adv)
- Contoh: The most convincing evidence that Garner robbed the store was a videotape from surveillance cameras.
- Definisi: implicate v. To suggest that someone was involved in a crime or other wrong behavior (Parts of speech: implication n)
- Contoh: No group claimed responsibility for the bombing, but the type of explosive used implicates the Heartland Freedom Militia.
- Tips: Implicate is often followed by in.
- Definisi: inquiry n. An investigation (Parts of speech: inquire v)
- Contoh: The FBI launched an inquiry into the relationship between organ-ized crime and the trucking company.
- Definisi: intrusively adv. In a way that brings an unwanted person or thing into someone else’s affairs (Parts of speech: intrude v, intrusion n, intruder n, intrusive adj)
- Contoh: The new consultant from company headquarters appeared intrusively at meetings, staff parties, and other functions where he was not wanted.
- Definisi: seize v. To take something against its owner’s will (Parts of speech: seizure n)
- Contoh: Federal agents can seize private homes and other property possibly used in the production or sale of illegal drugs.
- Definisi: surveillance n. A process of watching something or someone for a long time, usually because the person is suspected of something
- Contoh: Police surveillance of one suspected car thief resulted in the arrest of a whole gang of carjackers.
- Tips: Surveillance is often followed by an of phrase.
Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 1. Find the word or phrase that is closest in meaning to the opposite of each word in the left-hand column. Write the let-ter in the blank.
- …….1. ascertain …………….(a) unnoticeably
- …….2. intrusively …………….(b) simple and straightforward
- …….3. seize …………….(c) give back
- …….4. condemn …………….(d) cause doubt about
- …….5. bureaucratic …………….(e) Praise
Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 2: Complete each sentence by filling in the blank with the best word from the list. Change the form of the word if nec-essary. Use each word only once.
apprehend evidence implicate inquiry surveillance
- Officials could not __________ Basil because people in villages and towns throughout the country were willing to hide him.
- During their __________ of O’Brien’s house, detectives audiotaped his phone conversations.
- Until we finish our __________ into the disappearance of the cash, all employees are suspects.
- Even if there is __________, such as fingerprints, that might
- __________ someone in a crime, there might be other indications that the person is innocent.
Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 3: Read the passage to review the vocabulary you have learned. Answer the questions that follow.
The Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects citizens from unreasonable search and seizure. Some civil libertarians have condemned the federal antidrug bureaucracy for threatening this basic right. In a drug case, police need no evidence to intrude on private property, apprehend a suspected dealer, and seize all the person’s property. Property taken under this law may be sold for a profit later by the law-enforcement officials involved in the raid. The target of a raid might be implicated only by an unreliable report from an un-friendly neighbor. The police are not required to ascertain whether there’s any physical evidence of drug activity at the site. In one case, surveillance of a large California property convinced local authorities to seize it—not because they saw drug activity but because the property was worth a lot of money. The property was taken, and its owner was shot trying to defend himself. A later inquiry determined that there were no illegal drugs on the property.
1. According to this reading, which of these activities does the author oppose?
- A. marijuana possession
- B. surveillance
- C. property seizures
- D. civil libertarians
2. Why does the author of this reading mention the Fourth Amendment?
- A. because drug-related seizures seem to violate it
- B. because it outlaws the use of certain drugs
- C. because it has finally stopped the antidrug forces from seizing property
- D. because he disagrees that Americans should be protected by it
Key: Latihan Persiapan TOEFL1: 1.d, 2.b, 3.e, 4.a, 5.c, Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 2: 1.apprehend, 2.surveillance, 3.inquiry, 4.evidence, 5.implicate, Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 3: 1.c, 2.a