ancestral — legitimate — cohesion — paternal — descendant — proximity — nheritance — sentiment — kin — sibling
- Definisi: ancestral adj. Relating to family members from earlier generations (Parts of speech: ancestor n, ancestry n)
- Contoh: Sweden is my ancestral homeland, from which my great-grandfather emigrated in 1922.
- Definisi: cohesion n. Ability to stay together as a unit (Parts of speech: cohere v, cohesiveness n)
- Contoh: Family cohesion is difficult if young people have to go far away to find work.
- Tips: Cohesion can also be used to describe forces that keep materials or structures together.
- Definisi: descendant n. A direct relative in a later generation (such as one’s son, daughter, or grandchild) (Parts of speech: descend v, descent n)
- Contoh: Billy Sobieski claimed to be a descendant of Jan Sobieski, a former king of Poland.
- Tips: Descendant is often followed by an of phrase.
- Definisi: inheritance n. Things passed down to you from your ancestors (Parts of speech: inherit v, inheritor n)
- Contoh: My inheritance from my grandmother included her favorite necklace.
- Definisi: kin n. Relatives (Parts of speech: kinship n)
- Contoh: Even though my uncle didn’t really like me, he was kind to me be-cause we were kin.
- Tips: A common phrase is next of kin, meaning “closest relative.”
- Definisi: legitimate adj. True and respectable; in the context of family, born of a mother and father who were married to each other (Parts of speech: legitimize v, legitimacy n)
- Contoh: (1) You can skip the meeting if you have a legitimate reason. (2) Harcourt had two legitimate children with his wife Hannah and one illegitimate son with a woman whom he met while traveling.
- Tips: The opposite of legitimate is illegitimate.
- Definisi: paternal adj. Relating to a father
- Contoh: My mother’s parents have both died, but my paternal grandparents are still alive.
- Tips: Paternal may appear with maternal, meaning “relating to a mother.”
- Definisi: proximity n. Nearness
- Contoh: The house was comfortable, except for its proximity to a busy road.
- Tips: Proximity can be followed by an of phrase or a to phrase. Parts of speech proximate adj
- Definisi: sentiment n. Feelings; opinion based on feelings
- Contoh: I share your sentiments about air travel, but I disagree that cars are safer.
- Tips: Sentiments (the plural) is more common than sentiment. Parts of speech sentimentality n, sentimental adj
- Definisi: sibling n. Brother or sister
- Contoh: My siblings and I got together to buy our parents a gift for their anniversary.
- Tips: Sibling is often preceded by a possessive noun or pronoun.
Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 1: Find the word or phrase that is closest in meaning to each word in the left-hand column. Write the letter in the blank.
- ……1. ancestral——- (a) fatherly
- ……2. descendants——- (b) children, grandchildren, etc.
- ……3. legitimate——- (c) what one thinks or feels
- ……4. paternal——- (d) acceptable and right
- ……5. sentiments——- (e) related to earlier generations
Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 2: Complete each sentence by filling in the blank with the best word from the list. Change the form of the word if nec-essary. Use each word only once.
cohesion inheritance kin proximity siblings
- 1.You can’t expect to have family __________ if the members don’t re-spect each other.
- 2.In our family, the __________ who are closest in age get along the best.
- 3.If someone dies without a will, the possessions usually go to the next of __________.
- 4.Medical bills in his last year greatly reduced the __________ going to Tom’s wife.
- 5.Legally, parents have the same __________ of relationship to an adopted child as to their biological children.
Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 3: Read the passage to review the vocabulary you have learned. Answer the questions that follow.
The nature of the family varies widely from culture to culture. In some societies, family members tend to stay in close proximity to their kin, never moving more than a few miles away from the ancestral home. In other places, while the members of one generation may all live near one another, their descendants in the next generation scatter widely. In such a case, it’s difficult to maintain the same family cohesion enjoyed by those who live close together. Sometimes marriage can govern family structure; for example, there may be strict traditions requiring a new bride to leave her paternal home and siblings to move in with her new husband’s family. Such traditions are followed, even by young couples who don’t like them, because going against them is likely to result in the loss of inheritance. Whatever one’s own sentiments about family structure, it is important to recognize that one culture’s family system is as legitimate as another’s.
1.Which of the following best states the main idea of this passage?
- a.Different family systems can be found worldwide, but each one de-serves respect.
- b.Societies in which children move far away from their parents are not very cohesive.
- c.Although some societies still require a wife to move in with her hus-band’s family, this tradition is dying out.
- d.The most important factor in family happiness is close proximity to your relatives.
2.According to this reading, which family system is most common?
- a.Members of a family living in the same community.
- b.Family members spreading out and living in various cities.
- c.Young couples living with the man’s parents.
- d.It is impossible to tell from this reading.
Key: Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 1: 1.e, 2.b, 3.d, 4.a, 5.c, Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 1: 1.cohesion, 2.siblings, 3.kin, 4.inheritance Latihan Persiapan TOEFL 3: 1.a, 2.d